Monday, March 1, 2010

Music notes...

Well well well, to say that this class was informative would be a great understatement. I'd like to think of myself as fairly computer savvy and considering that I've had my own computer since I was five helps me think that I may be right. But all the different compression rates of music just sent me for a ride. That was just an area that I was not oblivious to but wildly inept at. Now that I have been exposed to it all it is painfully easy for me to understand. In essence it is much like live action photography or digital compression of videos. Where you may not get every single millisecond of detail but as the viewer you wouldn't be the wiser. In many cases if there are two frames are identical they may condense that section into one image, or if there are multiple frames but the majority of the frame remains unchanged then those bits of information instead of being repeated over and over again will just be re-used.

The same concept applies to music that is begin compressed and to my amazement you can barely hear a difference for a large amount of the different compression rates. Knowing all this information has allowed me think about how I will utilize this information in a classroom. For many instances there is no need to have super high bit rate of sound especially if it is a class project that is being listened to on line or something else along those lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment